Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Believe in Him!


Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel." (Mark 1:14-15)

I remember, as a kid growing up, I attended a little Quaker church along with my brothers and sisters. I recall all of the friendly people there and the fun I had listening to Bible stories in Sunday School. I also cherished the memories of all the fun activities that this small Quaker church had to offer. I really enjoyed those years going to church, but when I think back on it, I now realize that I was only attending church for the fun and activities offered. I did not attend church to worship God.

That may explain why I didn't have much to do with religion when I became an adult. In fact, I went out of my way sometimes, to mock Christianity. I remember when I was in my early twenties living in a small town in Eastern Oregon. Two local church people came up to my door to welcome my wife and I to the community and witness to us. I remember how rude I was to them as I explained that I didn't need God and that "Only the weak" relied on Him. If I could only go back into time and tell those nice folks how sorry I was for acting that way towards them.

Sometimes God needs to get our attention by allowing things to happen in our lives that we don't like. How are things going for you? Is today going to be the day you reach out to the Lord?

0 comments: