The reason there are different denominations within Christianity is because the Bible allows for us to have differences of opinions. Within Christianity there are very few essential doctrines that define what it means to be a Christian. These essential doctrines are:
- Jesus is both God and man (John 1:1,14; 8:24; Col. 2:9; 1 John 4:1-4).
- Jesus rose from the dead physically (John 2:19-21; 1 Cor. 15:14).
- Salvation is by grace through faith (Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:8-9; Gal. 3:1-2).
- The gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus (1 Cor. 15:1-4; Gal. 1:8-9).
- There is only one God (Exodus 20:3; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8).
- God exists as a Trinity of persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary (nature of incarnation).
Click here to read the rest of the article by Matt Slick.