Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Count Your Blessings


God has blessed me so much in this life. One of the many blessings that our Lord has given to me is the gifts of compassion and mercy for other people. Last Summer my wife and I decided to be volunteers for Hospice. To be invited into the last months, weeks, and days of a person's life has been such an honor, privilege and blessing.

I just returned from visiting with one of my hospice patients who just happens to be 92 years old. When I arrived at John's (Not his real name) room, which is located in an assisted living complex, he was so excited to see me. I could tell that John was a little weaker then the last time I visited with him. For several minutes I sat there and just visited with John, talking about "old memories" when he was a fire chief and the city recorder of a small town. I really enjoyed the talk and I knew that John enjoyed reminiscing the days when he was young and full of life.

John asked me if I was going to help him to his walker so he could walk around the assisted living complex and visit with other tenants. I got his walker ready, but soon realized that John was way to weak today to make it on his own. I could tell that John was disappointed. I reached over and got his wheelchair and told John to get in. For about an hour or so, John came alive and began to smile and laugh as I wheeled him down the hallways and around to the other gathering areas to visit with some of his friends.

Soon John became tired so I took him back to his room. John smiled and thanked me for taking the time to visit with him. I told John that the privilege was mine and that I would see him next week. What a blessing to be able to bring joy to the life of someone that is dying. Everyday I count my blessings that God has given to me. Thank you Lord for bringing John into my life.

0 comments: