God’s protection of his people is limitless and can take many forms. David characterized God’s care with five military symbols in this Psalm:
- God is like a rock that can’t be moved by any who would harm us.
- God is like a fortress or place of safety where the enemy can’t follow.
- God is like a shield that comes between us and harm.
- God is like a horn of salvation, a symbol of light and power.
- God is like a stronghold high above our enemies.
The Hebrew word for my rock is balanced by its parallel Hebrew word my strength, meaning also “my rock.” References to God as a mountain fortress that protects the believer are found many times in the Psalms (91:1–3; 144:1). This is a particularly apt image for David, who many times had to hide in the mountains for security (1 Sam. 26:1, 20). The words strength and stronghold reinforce the image of God as Protector. The horn symbolized strength.
It is such an awesome feeling to know that our Lord is there with us whether we are walking high on the mountains of life or walking through the valley of death. If you need protection, look to the only true God of all creation and He will get you through all of the raging storms in life.
Heavenly Father, it is my prayer this morning that I surrender all my heart, soul and mind to You. You are my Rock, my Fortress, my Shield, my Stronghold, and my Horn of Salvation. I will always remember to give You all the glory that You so richly deserve. I pray this all in Jesus’ name. Amen.